The seed of Ambition II

A note to the ladies reading today,
These past two weeks were so relaxing and wonderful. I spent time with my daughter, who over the last couple months has grown so much. It's scary that I may miss too much of her growth. School takes a lot of my time and I miss her. We have bonded with, talking, dancing, singing, and cuddling our hearts out. I have been able to pamper my husband by being an amazing house wife, which included, cooking, cleaning, food shopping, and drinking, among other things that would make my man completely and utterly smitten for me. Being home is something I love but, my purpose in life makes it hard for me to stay here. I must press on finding the delicate balance of my own ambitions and my family. I will still be a mom and a wife but, those two amazing jobs won't be my entire focus, for now.
Sincerely,
Saschia


   


       In my last post, I discussed how self-regulation is the seed of ambition and how it can be applied to our lives. This time, I would like to dig deeper into Self-Regulation.  Self-regulation is made up of cognition, metacognition, and motivation. Cognition is using your brain to learn and recall things in your environment using your senses, experiences and thoughts. Using the same resource and also Barry Zimmerman's (The link is directed to a google search on Zimmerman for you to independently research if you would like to know more.) research, I have learned that Self-regulation itself improves motivation in learners. Which makes metacognition the magic word for today. Metacognition is thinking about thinking. 
Artist Rodin's The Thinker
It is thinking about your own thinking, not your man's thinking or your besties thinking. Metacognition is vital to growth, learning, and living. Thinking about your own thinking would require time alone. There is only one person in the world who actually knows what you are thinking, your thought process, and dreams. No matter how much you try to verbalize your thoughts and put words to the pictures in your mind, only you can see those pictures. This can be frustrating at times but when it comes to ambition, it is an important piece to the puzzle. Women must be able to visualize where they are and where they want to be. Ambition is a place made by the individual for the individual. You must be able to be alone with your thoughts and have time to reflect and renew.
"Insight into our own thoughts... is the key to achievement in all domains" says, Stephen M. Fleming in the, Scientific American Mind. Some basic examples of metacognition are: Being proactive, knowing without a doubt  that you have the right answer, when a college student feels unsure about the chemistry exam coming up on friday and studies an extra 3 times that week.

[Side note for Neuropsych: according to Fleming's research damage to the hippocampus can cause a persons metacognition abilities to be impaired.]

Ladies lets take some time to think about our thinking.Where do your thoughts get jumbled and why? Why are you struggling in certain areas and not others? What are you very successful at and what are you lacking? While thinking, remember your thinking should be to improve yourself, not to bring yourself down. Figure out the problem, verbalized it, and don't waste time to fix it. We all lack somewhere in our own lives, you are not alone. If anyone is brave enough, start some discussions, listen to others struggles, uplift, and continue on your path to success. 

Please feel free to comment and share!! if you share my blog, I would love to know! If you completely disagree with my blog I would love to know! That's the only way I will learn! Thanks for reading it truly inspires my journey.




Citations
Zimmerman, B. (2006). Development and adaptation of expertise: The role of self-regulatory processes and beliefs. In K. Ericsson et al. (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of expertise and expert performance. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://0-0-search.credoreference.com.catalog.lioninc.org.catalog.lioninc.org/content/entry/cupexpert/development_and_adaptation_of_expertise_the_role_of_self_regulatory_processes_and_beliefs/0

Comments

  1. I am constantly thinking, and not doing. Im at a point in my life where im very skittish on making the right move. I never know where to start. After what seems so recent trauma, my thinking had been irrational and abnormal. Thanks for your blog it makes since. However Im still thinking too much. In circles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment!
    Maybe my last post can help you move forward in your actions.

    http://ambitionnwomen.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-seed-of-ambition.html

    I also know that keeping a journal really helps. Where do you want to go? Stop thinking, write a plan, and do it! Seems as though you have completed this step and it is time to move forward by acting on your goals. Your actually ahead of the game! Keep you head up and reach for the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me more accurately respond to your post,
    Since your post is anonymous, which is completely fine, I don't really have the insight to respond directly to your question. So I do have to say first if your ambitions may have anything to do with hurting yourself or others I do not have the expertise to talk with you about it. If you are feeling that way I would suggest finding someone to talk to.
    Another thing is when I refer to thinking about thinking and using metacognition to work towards your ambitions, I am meaning the goal has already been established and you are thinking about how your getting to that goal. I think that knowing what your goal is, would help to minimize your circular thinking. I would find pics, write your goal, frame it, and putting it on the wall would help to keep your thinking focused.
    With the trauma you've just recently been through there are many factors that could be responsible for your circular thinking. Give yourself time and make sure to mention it to your doctor at your next check up. Or make an appt with a counselor they can help you with your circular thinking as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts