4 Ways to be Ambitious Adults



A while ago I created a blog post with pictures titled, The Seed of Ambition. Today I want to go more in depth on how to do each step independently. Once you master it yourself it is much easier to teach others and of course that is what we want, right?

To review, according to Stephen Vassallo in "Self-Regulated Learning," he defines self-regulated learning (SRL) as “the strategic pursuit of learning goals, in which individuals set goals, monitor performance, and evaluate behavioral strategies and psychological conditions.” 

4 ways to be a more ambtitous adult:


Set Goals

When you are thinking of goals to set, you must think of your life as a whole. How will the success of this goal effect my home life, work life, future self, and those around me. When you set them, write them down. Talk about your goals and find people who have similar goals. Only allow those in your life that will show you support while you work towards your goals. If someone is putting their own needs before your goals, they are detrimental to your success, leave them. This works both ways, you should also support others goals as well.


Monitor Performance

While you're working towards your goals notice where you are in the process. Enjoy it. Don't beat yourself up for being too far from your goal. Congratulate yourself for how far you've come. Stay positive! If you feel you haven't been doing enough write out your whole week and include steps towards your goal in your schedule.

Evaluate Behavioral Strategies

This can be done by noticing when you are at your best, to work towards your goals. Since I am planing on writing a book, I try to surround myself with other writers. I also have learned that some people write best in the evening and others in the morning. I want to do my best on writing because that will make for a more efficient process. So I am noting when my best writing takes place. (I think it's in the morning which goes against everything I live for! I am not a morning person!)

Note when you are at your best you. Getting understanding of your own behaviors is important for growth. If you are having trouble noticing your own behaviors, ask someone close to you what they notice. Sometimes others see us better than we see ourselves. Another behavior to note is when we shut down. Why are we shutting down? How can we prevent this and how can I get myself back on track. As a new writer, I have learned that sometimes writing can cause emotional triggers. It can come from what seems to be no where. When it happened to me I wanted to stop doing my research and leave it unfinished. I have learned, since then, that you must power through it. I must continue to write, even if it is something other than my research. If an emotional trigger strikes you to the core, don't stop. For example, if you're a basketball player that is emotionally triggered by squeaking shoes on freshly waxed gym floors, then play on pavement for a little while, don't quit basketball altogether from that seemingly monstrous emotional trigger. 

Evaluate Psychological Conditions

It's important to think about how you motivate yourself  or what motivates you. My best friend Melissa, has told me in order to motivate herself for an interview, she will dress up pretty and do a full on makeup application. Some men may make primitive grunting noises accompanied with chest bumps to motivate themselves. Others may need to rock climb or hike to motivate themselves. All great things to use as motivators. Other ways to monitor psychological conditions is being aware of burn out. Noticing signs that a burn out is on its way and taking care of yourself before the burn out comes and shuts you down completely. Getting your basic needs met by eating, sleeping, and exercising properly also helps to maintain healthy psychological conditions. I had a guest blogger named Mike Kuplevatsky write a post titled, "Several Ways to Maintain a Positive Attitude" which can also help with maintaining psychological conditions. 




Here is the key to this topic. As an ambitious adult, you can possess all of these things but without a support system it can cause depression or obsession. I know I always say this but you must be part of a support system in order to thrive. If you haven't found one yet be the support system you need for yourself, to someone else. If you support others in their endeavors, while maintaining your own needs, your support system will come to you. Message me and I will help you to find some forums of your interests. 

Comments

Popular Posts