Last post on Self-Regulation

     
       

       

       The last thing I find important to know about Self-regulation and Ambition is this, you don't have to have a high IQ in order to master self-regulation. According to Dr. Barry Zimmerman, it has nothing to do with how smart an individual is. He noticed that simply asking students to self-record some aspect of their learning, such as the completion of assignments, signs of "spontaneous" improvements in functioning would show.

       I knew someone who never graduated from high school but was doing more than anyone else our age. When I say "more" I mean working full time, opening a new store, owning houses, and constantly improving financially. This was all amazing to me!
       
       That person had overcome more than many people had in their whole lives. When I confronted this person about going back to school, and offered my help to do so, they said, "Saschia, why do I have to go to school? I have everything I need right now without that little piece of paper." 
       
       That answer seemed correct. I still tried to find words to encourage education, but, how could I convince someone who had already been in the real world, doing real adult things? Don't get me wrong, school is very important. It creates well-rounded, educated individuals, but, maybe school isn't preparing us for the real world. Maybe, it was created for the journey itself. Anyhow, not that this person wasn't intelligent, actually, they could have an IQ higher than most. It's just that this person has defied the odds. There are people who say, "You can't get anywhere without a high school diploma." But in this person's mind, they could and they did. I am sure many people know someone who has a story like my old friend.
       
       My point being, you don't have to fit the mold. You don't need to go to the best school, have the best clothes, or work at the best job. Ambition is anyone's to grasp, it doesn't matter where you come from or where you're going. Don't ever let someone tell you, you can't do something. "Not only is it possible for you to have your dream but, it is necessary." 
      
       In my older posts I mentioned that not everyone possesses ambition. I think it is important to know that people can learn to be ambitious. It can be taught. It can be learned, but, you must take steps, make sacrifices, don't look back, and don't look down. Use different resources that successful people have left behind, to create your own journey. Dream BIG, Dream LOUD, and please leave a legacy on your way up!




Here is a list of 50 famously successful people who failed at first.



Citations
Zimmerman, B. (2006). Development and adaptation of expertise: The role of self-regulatory processes and beliefs. In K. Ericsson et al. (Eds.), Cambridge Handbook of expertise and expert performance. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://0-0-search.credoreference.com.catalog.lioninc.org.catalog.lioninc.org/content/entry/cupexpert/development_and_adaptation_of_expertise_the_role_of_self_regulatory_processes_and_beliefs/0

Comments

Popular Posts