Emotional Writing

I was asked a while back on my, "The Art of Blogging" post to consider other emotions in future posts. This is something I have wanted to do and how to do it, has been on my mind since. I would always wonder how I could tackle the emotions I felt.

When I got back into writing, I mostly did writing on articles with facts that backed up everything I said. It was safe and feeling-less. Safe, because with the facts hyperlinked and the scholarly articles behind me, it was less likely I would be challenged. I say feeling-less, because there was not a lot of my very secretive feelings hidden in my articles. I stay away from controversy and run from selfishly opinionated statements. I do, however, state my factual based opinion.

With that being said, I never had any emotions in my posts. I would post a few, here and there, without sharing them. They are a kind of secret between me and those few dedicated followers that read regardless if my stuff is Psychology based or emotion based. I couldn't answer the question.

Today I am emotional. This morning before I left my house, I decided I wasn't going to write. I walked all around my house trying to busy myself to avoid or distract myself from my emotional state. I couldn't write like this. I fed the cat, dog food, and the dog, well, I don't know if I even fed him. I couldn't write a completely unbiased, unemotional post with the emotions running freely through my brain.

Then, I thought about it. I cannot lose to them. I cannot lose great content, (or not so great content for that matter) due to frivolous emotions. I will write, emotional and all. The dog is now fed. (Who cares if it's in the cats dish!)

As a new writer, I never wrote when I was emotional. I wrote when I was in a neutral state. I couldn't be excited, sad, depressed, or angry. I had to be content. I had to be ok with myself and the world around me. When my world is not level, it was no time to write. But today I write.

I am angry, frustrated, hurt, and kind of enthralled.

And I have written.

Now I know, I can.

What does this have to do with ambition?

Those who are truly ambitious know we must ignore our emotions to race to the finished product. I did, as you can see. I would rest enough to pass a test and hide enough to get my studying done. I would sacrifice enough to succeed. Some sacrifices I don't regret, some I do. I am still determined to graduate. I am determined to do well in my BS program. I am however approaching success from a completely different aspect from where I started. Maybe I no longer crave ambition. Maybe now that I know it's a craving I don't want it anymore. Maybe I have had too much time off from school. Maybe I am still ambitious. Maybe I don't know how to live any other way.

Maybe I am too emotional to make decisions about ambition.

There’s no such thing as writer’s block. That was invented by people in California who couldn’t write.
– Terry Pratchett

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Saschia! You did it. You don't have to apologize for not being able to act immediately according to my say. I'm quite impressed the way you have balanced yourself and your emotions through this writing piece, and it utterly reflects your emotions as well.
    This is what happens to a true writer. Our writing is a reflection of our personality, that we daily chose to ignore to get somewhere in life or to achieve something. And then, somewhere in the middle of the road that feel that we have left something behind which matters to us most.
    Your back processing of thoughts over the decisions taken by you suggests the same thing. That's a real gift of writing we need to pursue to get better and get evolved. This applies to every one of us.
    Ambition is never a bad thing, rather it is necessary to fuel your thoughts. But we have to differentiate our ambitious objectives from the desires. They can be easily merged or most of the times desires gets dissolved through this rush.

    Getting back to the school to graduate is a desire. And maybe you should complete it. This would certainly satisfy your craving to have another desire. We are blessed that we can desire things and pleasure ourselves through accomplishments.
    This is why I suggest myself that 'a writer can express things better when he/she writes about his/her own emotion'.
    Yes, of course, it leaves us on a vulnerable state for a moment. But it gives us a clarity. A vision which we all need to make things happen that we desire.

    I would love to read random strokes of emotions shimmering through you words.

    I appreciate that you considered my request.

    Best wishes...!

    Tanmay Kamble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :-) I appreciate you taking time to comment on my post.

    "But we have to differentiate our ambitous objectives from the desires."

    Very true. I will definitely continue to take your words into consideration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts